Sunday, July 15, 2007

Another Look at AIDS and HIV

About 15 months ago I offered some thoughts on the controversy of AIDS. At that time I knew very little about the subject and, being interested, started digging into the science. There was then, and remains now, a minority viewpoint that the idea that HIV causes AIDS is untrue.

After hearing a lot from both sides, I concluded that I still didn’t know much and will, provisionally, accept the consensus viewpoint unless someone can come up with the scientific evidence that will turn the consensus around (I'm not a scientist, but I think this is the way science is supposed to work). It still hasn’t happened and I personally doubt that it will. There is too much evidence for the standard AIDS paradigm.

This doesn’t mean that there aren’t good questions that still have not been adequately answered, but I believe they will be in good time. Some of the new facts may weaken some of the notions that are currently held but, again, I don’t think it will be so dramatic as to completely upset the applecart. It will be more corrective than a total replacement of theory.

Here’s a good example along these lines. The depth of the tragedy is, happily, not as bad as the proponents of the standard model would have led us to believe. Good science includes good statistical science.

No comments: