Saturday, August 27, 2005

Flintstones History?

If creationism (come on, why give undue credit by acknowledging the "Intelligent Design" ploy, instead of exposing the hidden agenda?) can be taught in science class, how about the Flintstones in history class? Did Fred and Barney hunt pterodactyls?


Column One, Los Angeles Times on Saturday - Adam, Eve and T. Rex is just too much. But within the non-sense were some great quotes like Kevin Padian of the University of California Museum of Paleoantology and the NCSE who said, "Dinosaurs lived in the Garden of Eden and Noah's Ark? Give me a break"..."For them, The Flintstones is a documentary".

I live in Southern California and have made many trips to the Palm Springs area. I've always loved the dinosaurs, standing tall out there in the middle of the desert. Too bad it's been co-opted and ruined for me. Happily, my children are grown, and I won't stop there again.

I personally know the Pastor Robert DARWIN Chiles (yes, it's a perverse use of the name of one of the greatest minds of modern times) quoted in the late part of the article. "Pastor Bob" used to work for our company and was often spouting his uneducated drivel, clearly devoid of any understanding of modern science. I used to think it was great that he left us and moved out to the desert. Now I know better. Read the article, but allow me one quote from him, just to get everyone laughing as they move to the story. Referring to the kids who are excited to see and play around the dinosaurs, Pastor Bob says, "And it's not like they're crying 'oh, mommy, take me out, I'm scared'. They're drawn to it. There's something in their DNA that knows man walked with these creatures on Earth". Yes, yes, I know I'm lucky he moved - but it didn't make the world a better place!

1 comment:

Gerry L said...

"Pastor Bob says, 'And it's not like they're crying 'oh, mommy, take me out, I'm scared'. They're drawn to it. There's something in their DNA that knows man walked with these creatures on Earth.'"

And there is even more evidence our DNA "knows" that man walked the Earth with giant mice. Just look at how kids are drawn to Mickey at Disneyland. (But Goofy was always my favorite.)