Monday, October 08, 2007

Evolution Presented in Highly Understandable Fashion

I've mentioned Sean B. Carroll a few times in posts recently. I wanted to present a video of some of his work in Evo-Devo because I think it has become such an important new area of evolutionary study, and the work he does is right up at the front of it.

Hopefully I will soon find what I'm looking for. In the meantime, I found this. While he doesn't get in to his own field very much in it, what he does do is provide a great primer in the basics of evolution. I'm guessing most people who stop by here would find it interesting but a bit of "old news". There might be some though who don't understand how evolution could possibly work and thus continue to believe that all of the wonderful diversity we see could only possibly have been the product of design.

If this sounds like you, and you are truly interested in discovering for yourself if evolution as currently understood could be a fact, then this video is for you. Sean Carroll speaks to a group of high school students and lays out the historical background for the theory, plus the more current aspects of our knowledge, in a way that anyone can grasp. I can tell you that the work he does is a powerful new tool for our deeper understanding of evolution, but here he simply and eloquently describes the processes for profound change over the course of time.

3 comments:

PhillyChief said...

Thank you for this. Although we know and accept Evolution, it's sometimes difficult to talk about it with creationists. Clips like this are very helpful

John Evo said...

Yes, I think many of them just haven't been exposed to it. They THINK they know what it is (with a mental image of humans evolving from a monkey via some major mutation) but very few have made any effort to study it. If you run into to such people and they are willing to learn the facts, they can be swayed. Maybe not on the "god issue", but certainly on evolution.

Unknown said...

I picked up "Endless Forms Most Beautiful" a couple of weeks ago. I hope to read it soon. :)

Thanks for posting this!