Saturday, October 13, 2007

More Daniel Dennett

Personally, I just can’t get enough of the guy. But if you have never read Dan Dennett's absolutely brilliant book “Darwin’s Dangerous Idea” then please at least take the time to watch this video. I always attempt to post videos that I think are worth watching, but this one is is a must-see in my opinion.

The book is one of the most powerfully written supports of the Theory of Natural Selection (and, equally, an overwhelmingly indisputable rebuttal of so called Intelligent Design) in history. He wrote it over a decade ago. You would think – hope – that the proponents of Intelligent Design (Behe, Dembski, Miller et al) would have read and deeply digested this book. Had they bothered to do so, I highly doubt they would have bothered further with their ID scheme. Clearly, they did not – could not – have done so. It completely bewilders me that ID could have arisen after this book was published.

This is a high quality video, apparently released quite recently, in which Dennett himself gives us an over-view of the book. It is compelling and thorough. I would suggest that if you do have the book on your future reading that you pass on this video because it is such an excellent summary of the book. On the other hand, if you think you probably won’t get to the book, then by all means take this opportunity to watch. Even those who are steeped in evolutionary theory will be enlightened by some of his unique insights. Fair warning – it is over an hour long and by the end you will wish it was two!

For some reason the imbed is not working on this video, but click here and it will take you right to it.

5 comments:

PhillyChief said...

I've seen this video before but never read his work. Thanks for the link.

Anonymous said...

Good heavens. A bit more proof that atheists and "free-thinkers" are some of the most credulous people on the planet.

John Evo said...

Anonymous -

If you care to elaborate on that, I'll be happy to respond.

But, as is, it's a bit as if I had posted a video about us going in to Iraq based on total bullshit reasoning and someone leaves a comment saying "More proof that liberals hate America".

Oh, wait... I think that actually happened!

Unknown said...

Did the "trickle down" theory of creation remind you any of the "trickle down" theory of economics?

I have "Breaking the Spell" and "Freedom Evolves", but I haven't had a chance to read them yet. I hope to add this one to the list too. :)

John Evo said...

About a year ago I read "Sweet Dreams: Obstacles to a Science of Consciousness". I didn't like it much. I thought it was both confusing and confused. But everyone has their ups and downs, and the ups for Dennett are so high that I absolutely forgive him for that book.