Saturday, November 03, 2007

Blogroll and Other Updates

I noticed I haven't touched my old "Links You Might Enjoy" in quite some time. I changed the name of it to "Blogs and Other Links". I dropped several of the "other links" because it seemed like they were ones that many people are already familiar with. If I'm going to put up a link, I want it to be to something I enjoy that a visitor here might not have seen or heard about from somewhere else. I go to You Tube all the time, but I'm not going to link it. Likewise, places like The Panda's Thumb, Pharyngula, The Loom, etc. all are places that most atheists, agnostics, free-thinkers, science lovers, already know about.

I particularly wanted to emphasize the blogs I've been spending time at over the past few months, so I moved them up the list. I included three that should have been up there for a while, but I've been lazy. If you have never checked out Tales of an Ordinary Girl, You Made Me Say It, or A Whore in the Temple of Reason, please stop by and give them a look. They are all better done than my blog if the subjects I blog about interest you. There are two or three others that I will be including soon.

Finally, I try to update the music every month and for November I have The Clash. I saw The Clash live in Santa Monica, CA in 1981. Damn, has it been 26 years? Nearly half a lifetime ago. Their album "Sandinista" still stands as one of my personal Top 10.

8 comments:

The Exterminator said...

I think your idea about your blogroll makes a lot of sense. (Maybe I'm biased because I'm still on it.) My feeling about my own blogrolls has always been that I'm only going to put up links that I, myself, use frequently. If I don't go to the sites, why would I want to invite my readers to visit them?

John Evo said...

The only exceptions that I do include are those that I know don't really change much (and thus I don't GO THERE much) but that have been interesting or useful to me in the past.

For example, the links to the Hubble site, The Understanding Evolution Site, the Becoming Human site, etc. (and, actually, most of them DO add occasional new material. The Understanding Evolution site from UC Berkeley keeps you updated on all of the latest discoveries). So I would recommend those just because I think someone interested would gain a lot from visiting.

The most important though are the ones we have direct interactions with. Plus, they are much lesser known and if I can actually add a little traffic to someone whose thoughts I appreciate, well, all the better.

PhillyChief said...

Thanks for the plug. I like your blog, which is why I have you linked separately from the main Atheist blogroll. Your site is much better organized than mine with cooler stuff, and I've been turned on to some new vids, books and people. Pretty spiffy.

I don't write better, unless by better you mean crazed, then yes. ;)

John Evo said...

Philly Chief said: "I don't write better, unless by better you mean crazed, then yes. ;)"

I'll just recommend everyone read Why do theists want atheism called a religion? and make up their own minds.

You say "crazed", but you know you mean "passionate". You got me beat there, and most people prefer it. I'm listing dangerously toward starboard side apathy.

PhillyChief said...

One person's crazed is another's passionate, or how's that Spinal Tap line go? It's a fine line between clever and stupid?

Your posts are thoughtful and well structured. I may have an occasional one like that, but mostly mine are off the cuff. The one of mine you linked to was an anomaly where I actually took my time and slowly composed it in chunks. I'm usually too worked up or not willing to make such a time commitment. Yours feel crafted. If yours are off the cuff, I'd be very surprised, and jealous. I need a considerable amount of time for the good stuff. Rants are much easier.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the link and adding me to your blogroll. I'm in good company too. :)

I have some oldies, but goodies, blogs that were inspiring to me when I first started, but are almost never updated anymore. I keep thinking about pruning, but I haven't brought myself to do it yet.

John Evo said...

O'Girl, you're welcome and I should have put you up months ago. Not that anyone is likely to find you because of my little blog, but its a matter of well-deserved respect.

The Exterminator said...

John-Evo:
Not that anyone is likely to find you because of my little blog, but its a matter of well-deserved respect.

Well, you never know. I do manage to get some traffic from blogs that link to mine. You, yourself, found a new Nonbelieving Literati member merely by linking on a comment, of all things. Yesterday, I had two readers who linked to me from a site on which OG is active; I assume she left a link somewhere. I've had some hits from many other sites I read regularly. So I don't think any blog is too small, as you self-depractingly refer to your excellent site, to help out the cause.

It might be interesting in the future if ten or fifteen of us simultaneously tracked our traffic from one another's blogs. I think you might be surprised at how effective these little links are. I'm appreciative for every one I get.

Plus, of course, (and this is no small thing), including a link to someone's blog is a way of showing that we enjoy it. I must admit: that's one of the great rewards of blogging for me, knowing that I'm part of a community of like-minded people. You and OG, as well as about 25 some odd (some very odd) other bloggers, are the people I think about when I write. Just knowing you're out there in the Atheosphere makes the creation process much more entertaining.