Friday, December 14, 2007

But Virginia, it might not show up until AFTER Christmas!

Since I’m roughly forty percent of the way through our current reading of The Sparrow, I obviously won’t be posting about it at this time. Hopefully I can work my way through it next week and write something. Meanwhile, try not to take offense that I don’t comment on your essay. I won’t be reading anyone else’s until I post. (I did not read the post at No More Hornets! I just scanned the title and Virginia's letter).

But, it is my month to pick a book for us to read. I was struggling over a couple of different books that I have read and enjoyed but finally decided to go with something completely new to me. I consulted a few secular book sites in search of the right thing. They had many good recommendations but the one I settled on was touted by several sites as an excellent book. I’ll leave that to our readers! As always, new members are welcome to join in and read along with the group (and ahead of me). Just contact The Exterminator if interested (or me and I’ll pass it along to him).

The next book for the Non-Believing Literati is The Plague, by Albert Camus. I will assume that posts on it can start appearing on January 31, 2008, unless The Exterminator has a different schedule in mind. Personally, I wouldn’t mind us doing one every 2 months. I’m probably the slowest reader in the group and 6 weeks is (obviously) a tight squeeze for me with the other reading I do. But I leave that to the boss.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks like a good book. I look forward to reading it.

Anonymous said...

I heard about this book in my college lit. class but never read it. I'm looking forward to reading it.

The Exterminator said...

I've always meant to read The Plague, but I've never gotten around to it. Thanks for providing the impetus, Evo. I think January 31 is fine, but will entertain serious objections.

The Exterminator said...

By the way, Evo, you can read the "Yes, Virginia" post because it says nothing about The Sparrow.

The Ridger, FCD said...

The Plague, huh? Guess I'll have to break down and actually read some Camus, then.

John Evo said...

I'll have to break down and actually read some Camus, then.

Oops... don't know anything about the dude. Is there an "issue" with him?

Anonymous said...

I don't think there's any "issue" with Camus. People classify him as an existentialist but he rejected the label. The Plague is regarded as a classic of 20th century literature. It's a good choice for the literati.

The Ridger, FCD said...

No problem with him. I've just never actually read him. Over half a century of reading and finally getting to Camus ... guess it's about time?

EnoNomi said...

Even if we were reading one book every 3 months I'd still be feeling the crunch come writing time. I'd just think, "oh well, there's lots of time, I can read something else in the meantime."

Did I mention I used to write my term papers the morning they were due?