Thursday, August 09, 2007

EARTHQUAKE!!

OK, I'm exaggerating. But at 1:00 AM, just as I logged off my computer and headed to bed I got a decent jolt:

Magnitude 4.5 Quake Jolts LA Area
KNBC-TV
Updated: 1 minute ago
CHATSWORTH, Calif. - A magnitude-4.5 earthquake struck the Southland today, setting off hundreds alarms, knocking hangings and knickknacks to the floor and waking up thousands of people but causing no significant injuries or damages.

(The link takes you to the full article with video and pictures).

So... how jaded am I? I looked at the computer and hardly gave a thought to logging back on to quickly share my experience (8 seconds of house rocking east and west, adrenaline first rushing and then dissipating, checking on screaming wife and barely waking 18 year old daughter).

I've been through too many of these in 53 years. As I crawled into bed, my wife asked how strong I thought it would be. "3.5 if it was really close, 4.5 if it's 20 miles or so, if it was in Frisco, Northern California is a separate state now". I turned out the light and went to sleep. Jaded.

No comments: